Universal is resurrecting the 1991 movie Drop Dead Fred as a starring vehicle for Russell Brand, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Dennis McNicholas, a cowriter on the production company’s upcoming Land of the Lost, will write the script based on the original, which starred Phoebe Cates as a woman who loses her job and her husband only to find her world further rocked by the appearance of a rambunctious imaginary friend from her childhood (whom Brand will play in the remake). The first Fred was a flop, but achieved some cult-level success.
Posted April 28 2009 — 12:32 PM EDT
- Amy Schumer on 'Formation' video backlash: 'It was never a parody'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for Owen and Amelia?
- Shannen Doherty opens up about cancer in emotional 'Chelsea' interview
- Halloween ComicFest 2016: Here are all the free comics you can get
- Joel McHale on 'The Great Indoors': 'We are equal opportunity offenders'
- 'Thor: Ragnarok' wraps production
- The 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' tweet crossover you need to see