If you caught director Kelly Reichardt’s 2006 art-house hit Old Joy, you know what she’s up to here: a poetically spare and intimate character study of a young drifter (a heartrending Michelle Williams) and her dog, who amble into one bad break after another in Wendy and Lucy. Bring Kleenex. It has ? the saddest actor/mutt coda since Umberto D. EXTRAS include four avant-garde shorts. B+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Michelle Williams, Will Patton, Will Oldham; Director: Kelly Reichardt; Author: Jonathan Raymond, Kelly Reichardt; Release Date Limited: 12/10/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Oscilloscope Pictures
Posted May 1 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fantastic Four' honest trailer has a problem with cloud-based villains
- Watch Alice in Chains cover Bowie at an early gig
- Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards call off engagement
- ABC's new thriller 'Quantico' asks a big question: Who's really the terrorist?
- See the first teaser for Martin Scorsese's rock drama 'Vinyl'
- 'Destiny' is replacing Peter Dinklage with Nolan North as the voice of Ghost
- Joel McHale says no more 'Community,' but movie hopes remain