Just read a Variety piece detailing all the projects Hugh Jackman has in the works, and I can’t decide which one I’m most eager to see. Actually, that’s not true. I saw him three times in The Boy From Oz – I’d purchase my tickets today for the 2010 Broadway musical Houdini, if I could. (Danny Elfman is writing the music – awesome.) Here are the choices:
• X-Men Origins: Wolverine sequel: According to the trade, Jackman’s Seed Productions is already developing the film, which will be focused on the samurai story line from the comic. If we’re talking about swords here, my colleage Tim Stack will have a field day when he reads this.
• Personality Security: Jackman will play a New York police detective “forced into bodyguard duty for a spoiled teen heiress who is receiving kidnapping threats.” Are we hoping it’s a comedy?
• Drive: Adapted from the James Sallis novel, the film will star Jackman as a “solitary man who drives race cars by day and getaway cars by night in Los Angeles.” Jackman said the script reads like a Steve McQueen film. Much hotter than Personal Security.
• Carousel: Jackman will play Billy Bigelow to what he hopes is Anne Hathaway’s Julie Jordan, though negotiations with her have not begun
outside of him asking her to duet with him at the Oscars. The script, Variety reports, “keeps the timeless spirit of the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic, but injects relevance for a contemporary audience.”
• Houdini: The Tony winner’s triumphant return to Broadway is slated to be directed by Jack O’Brien (Hairspray). Please let them recreate this shot for the poster…
Okay, PopWatchers, what’s your preferred Jackman project? Vote now!