One of the biggest — and most surprising — hits of the year, Taken gooses a tired genre premise and turns it into a tense exercise in paternal payback thanks to its Bronson-with-a-brogue star. Liam Neeson is an ex?CIA agent trying to mend a broken relationship with his 17-year-old daughter (Lost’s Maggie Grace). So when she begs to go to France for the summer, he caves. Big mistake: She’s kidnapped, drugged, and sold into white slavery. Neeson roars like a lion protecting his cub, first jetting to Paris, then wasting scores of Albanian goons (the body count rivals all three Bourne flicks combined). Yes, Taken may be action trash, but it’s 24-karat action trash. EXTRAS include a subtitled commentary from French director Pierre Morel and heartbreaking red-carpet footage of a happy Neeson and wife Natasha Richardson at Taken’s January premiere. A?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Maggie Grace, Liam Neeson, Famke Janssen; Director: Pierre Morel; Author: Luc Besson, Robert Mark Kamen; Release Date Wide: 01/30/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 6 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!