This terse Austrian drama, an Oscar nominee this year for Best Foreign Language Film, starts off as a lethally honed depiction of life in a brothel. As long as Revanche focuses on the relationship between Tamara (Irina Potapenko), an indentured Ukrainian prostitute, and Alex (Johannes Krisch), the ex-con gofer and would-be tough guy who wants to help her escape, it’s riveting. But then there’s an accidental shooting death, and a countrified cop and his wife enter the picture. The movie turns into a bizarrely ambivalent, drawn-out tale of vengeance: a revenge served so cold that the drama cools off. B?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Johannes Krisch, Irina Potapenko; Director: Götz Spielmann; Author: Götz Spielmann; Release Date Limited: 05/01/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 13 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cyndi Lauper explains why she's not boycotting North Carolina
- Ariana Grande drops hot new song 'Into You'
- Seratones talk scuzzy debut: 'We have attitude problems'
- 'Xena: Warrior Princess': Why Xena and Gabrielle never got together
- RHCP, Alicia Keys: Grading the week's best (and worst) new singles
- Sharon Stone and James Corden make a rap video to help her find a date
- Kristen Bell opens up about dealing with depression and anxiety