This terse Austrian drama, an Oscar nominee this year for Best Foreign Language Film, starts off as a lethally honed depiction of life in a brothel. As long as Revanche focuses on the relationship between Tamara (Irina Potapenko), an indentured Ukrainian prostitute, and Alex (Johannes Krisch), the ex-con gofer and would-be tough guy who wants to help her escape, it’s riveting. But then there’s an accidental shooting death, and a countrified cop and his wife enter the picture. The movie turns into a bizarrely ambivalent, drawn-out tale of vengeance: a revenge served so cold that the drama cools off. B?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Johannes Krisch, Irina Potapenko; Director: Götz Spielmann; Author: Götz Spielmann; Release Date Limited: 05/01/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 13 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996