This terse Austrian drama, an Oscar nominee this year for Best Foreign Language Film, starts off as a lethally honed depiction of life in a brothel. As long as Revanche focuses on the relationship between Tamara (Irina Potapenko), an indentured Ukrainian prostitute, and Alex (Johannes Krisch), the ex-con gofer and would-be tough guy who wants to help her escape, it’s riveting. But then there’s an accidental shooting death, and a countrified cop and his wife enter the picture. The movie turns into a bizarrely ambivalent, drawn-out tale of vengeance: a revenge served so cold that the drama cools off. B?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Johannes Krisch, Irina Potapenko; Director: Götz Spielmann; Author: Götz Spielmann; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- See the exclusive trailer to Amy Berg's explosive Hollywood pedophile documentary, 'An Open Secret'
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!