This terse Austrian drama, an Oscar nominee this year for Best Foreign Language Film, starts off as a lethally honed depiction of life in a brothel. As long as Revanche focuses on the relationship between Tamara (Irina Potapenko), an indentured Ukrainian prostitute, and Alex (Johannes Krisch), the ex-con gofer and would-be tough guy who wants to help her escape, it’s riveting. But then there’s an accidental shooting death, and a countrified cop and his wife enter the picture. The movie turns into a bizarrely ambivalent, drawn-out tale of vengeance: a revenge served so cold that the drama cools off. B?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Johannes Krisch, Irina Potapenko; Director: Götz Spielmann; Author: Götz Spielmann; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 13 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SNL' with Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes is on: Talk about it here
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!