This terse Austrian drama, an Oscar nominee this year for Best Foreign Language Film, starts off as a lethally honed depiction of life in a brothel. As long as Revanche focuses on the relationship between Tamara (Irina Potapenko), an indentured Ukrainian prostitute, and Alex (Johannes Krisch), the ex-con gofer and would-be tough guy who wants to help her escape, it’s riveting. But then there’s an accidental shooting death, and a countrified cop and his wife enter the picture. The movie turns into a bizarrely ambivalent, drawn-out tale of vengeance: a revenge served so cold that the drama cools off. B?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Johannes Krisch, Irina Potapenko; Director: Götz Spielmann; Author: Götz Spielmann; Release Date Limited: 05/01/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 13 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bruce Springsteen stops ‘Jersey Girl’ performance for a marriage proposal
- Rihanna teases VMAs performance with abstract art video
- Here's how they make those movie sex scenes so sexy
- Robert Gant talks romancing Debbie Gibson in 'Summer of Dreams'
- 'Southside With You' reviews: What critics are saying
- 'Rogue One' trailer gets 'Friends' treatment in mash-up video
- Drake sent Rihanna a message... on a billboard