An incest survivor (Maria Bello) acts out her damage by hooking up, via the Internet, with a man she asks to hurt her…and worse. Jason Patric plays the creep in question, and Rufus Sewell is cast against type as her boring, clueless husband. Shot in a chilly, desaturated palette, Downloading Nancy declares, in every frame, that we’re in a world without love, faith, joy, or connection. There are brutal scenes with razor blades and other impromptu devices of erotic torment, but what makes the movie a trial to sit through isn’t just the heroine’s pain-freak tastes. It’s that a kinkfest with this blah an emotional spectrum is selling its own chic form of puritanism — sex with all the life force repressed. C?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Jason Patric, Amy Brenneman, Rufus Sewell; Director: Johan Renck; Author: Pamela Cuming, Lee Ross; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted June 3 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!