On the evening of his retirement as a train engineer, dour sixtysomething Norwegian bachelor Odd Horten (Buster Keaton-ish Baard Owe) learns to live life without a timetable. And since O’Horten is the creation of absurdist Bent Hamer (Kitchen Stories), a master of droll melancholy, Odd’s life is just as peculiar as his name. (For one thing, he finds himself in a car driven by a drunken, blindfolded diplomat, played by Espen Skjonberg.) Like fellow poker-faced Scandinavian filmmaker Aki Kaurismäki, Hamer specializes in dry humor born of long, dark nights. Jack Nicholson’s dyspeptic retiree in About Schmidt would no doubt identify with O’Horten’s entertaining pain. B+
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Baard Owe; Director: Bent Hamer; Author: Bent Hamer; Release Date Wide: 05/15/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted June 3 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!