On the evening of his retirement as a train engineer, dour sixtysomething Norwegian bachelor Odd Horten (Buster Keaton-ish Baard Owe) learns to live life without a timetable. And since O’Horten is the creation of absurdist Bent Hamer (Kitchen Stories), a master of droll melancholy, Odd’s life is just as peculiar as his name. (For one thing, he finds himself in a car driven by a drunken, blindfolded diplomat, played by Espen Skjonberg.) Like fellow poker-faced Scandinavian filmmaker Aki Kaurismäki, Hamer specializes in dry humor born of long, dark nights. Jack Nicholson’s dyspeptic retiree in About Schmidt would no doubt identify with O’Horten’s entertaining pain. B+
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Baard Owe; Director: Bent Hamer; Author: Bent Hamer; Release Date Wide: 05/15/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted June 3 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Misty Copeland becomes American Ballet Theatre's first black female principle dancer
- See the 'Magic Mike XXL' trailer... as performed by hot dogs
- Amy Schumer says she would appear on 'The Bachelorette'
- Universal destroyed all of Amy Winehouse's unreleased demos
- Megan Hilty reveals if she'd join the full stage production of 'Bombshell'
- 'X-Files' creator Chris Carter picks 10 episodes to watch before the revival
- Journey drummer Deen Castronovo indicted with rape charge