Those of you who’ve read the reviews for Sam Mendes’ new dramedy Away We Go – or maybe even saw it on opening day yesterday – know that Maya Rudolph is something of a revelation in it. As one half of a directionless, thirtysomething couple searching for a place to drop their roots before the birth of their first child, Rudolph gives a wonderfully quiet, sincere performance that, to quote my colleague Owen Gleiberman, “anchors the quirkiness of Away We Go and transcends it, too.” It’s quite something to behold the former SNL powerhouse who once bellowed “GET OUT!!” as Donatella Versace convey leagues and fathoms of emotion with such economy. John Krasinski, who plays Rudolph’s partner and baby daddy, is terrific, too. But for me, the movie’s all about Maya. So please join me in applauding the brilliant and beautiful Ms. Rudolph. When you’re done with that, enjoy this SNL clip from 2007, in which she stops by “Weekend Update” as Whitney Houston. Cocaine brownies! Can I get a what-what!
Posted June 6 2009 — 2:00 PM EDT
- Is O.J. Simpson innocent? New docuseries investigates
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'OUAT,' 'Chicago Fire,' 'Supergirl' and more
- Seth MacFarlane explains why Hollywood hates Donald Trump
- Luke Bryan releases statement after fan altercation during concert
- Kellyanne Conway took fight with Clinton aides personally
- Felicity Jones says 'Rogue One' is like 'The Empire Strikes Back'
- Best of 2016: Director X talks Fifth Harmony's 'Work From Home' video
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big