The Hangover tossed back an estimated $16.5 million in box office receipts on Friday, according to Box Office Mojo, positioning the R-rated worst-night-in-Vegas-ever comedy to win as much $50 million for the weekend and the title of the summer’s first official sleeper hit. Disney/Pixar’s Up fared well too, earning an expected $13.5 million for second place. The Will Ferrell comedy Land of the Lost, based on the wildly popular 1970s kids TV show, landed at third place with $7.2 million. The weekend’s other new wide release, My Life in Ruins, starring My Big Fat Greek Wedding’s Nia Vardalos, bagged just $1.1 million for ninth place. Friday’s figures are below, and check back here on Sunday for the complete weekend figures in EW’s Box Office Report.
Posted June 6 2009 — 5:40 PM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf calls out Drake, Lil Yachty in new freestyle rap
- T.J. Miller on 'Raiders' and a bag of Cheetos from Steven Spielberg
- 'Saved by the Bell' EP reveals Zack and Kelly would be divorced now
- Watch Chris Pratt's hilarious card trick on 'Graham Norton'
- Morgan spills on her time in the 'Big Brother: OTT' house
- 'Gilmore Girls': Scott Patterson says April's season 6 arrival 'humanized' Luke
- Amy Schumer in talks to star in live-action 'Barbie' movie
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big