Monica Ali — short-listed for Britain’s Booker Prize for her first novel, Brick Lane — returns with the tale of Gabe Lightfoot, head chef at London’s once-posh Imperial Hotel. Lightfoot, the veteran of many a restaurant kitchen, choreographs a cacophonous staff of immigrants (Indians, Filipinos, Russians; some legal, some not) in a loud and lively daily performance. He doesn’t plan to be at the Imperial — with its pecunious management staff, who even insist on plastic flowers, not fresh, at the tables — for long; he’s amassing the backers to open his own place. But then lightning strikes — about 10 times. A night porter is murdered in the kitchen’s basement. Lightfoot’s dad is diagnosed with liver cancer. His girlfriend demands a commitment. He realizes his hairy-knuckled manager is running some kind of illegal business. And so on. Lightfoot isn’t endearingly scrappy, like Nazneen, the Bangladeshi immigrant of Brick Lane; he?s harder to crack. But once you get past his calloused, scarred exterior, you’ll find him just as mesmerizing. Few writers these days can strip characters to their very souls like Ali does. A?
In the KitchenMonica Ali — short-listed for Britain's Booker Prize for her first novel, Brick Lane — returns with the tale of Gabe Lightfoot, head...In the KitchenFictionMonica AliMonica Ali — short-listed for Britain's Booker Prize for her first novel, Brick Lane — returns with the tale of Gabe Lightfoot, head...2009-06-10Scribner
Genre: Fiction; Author: Monica Ali; Publisher: Scribner
Posted June 10 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Michelle Obama wished Beyoncé a happy birthday on Twitter
- Jason Biggs' son picked book perfect for his 'American Pie' past
- 'Big Brother': Meg on her biggest mistake and that drunken night with Clay
- Pink says she has no issue with Demi Lovato after critical VMAs comments
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!