Mad Men’s John Hamm versus Gossip Girl’s Chace Crawford? You bet your ballot! It’s Emmy season, which means any primetime actor is entitled to submit his or her name for consideration. The result is a comically mismatched list of men and women vying for best-actor/actress nominations. Crawford — along with costars Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester — will compete against The Shield’s Michael Chiklis and Damages’ Glenn Close for nods in the top drama acting categories. (Penn Badgley and Blake Lively steered clear of the competition altogether.) And talk about moxie: Disney Channel’s Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus decided to take on reigning champ Tina Fey in the best comedy actress race. (The six finalists in each category will be announced July 16.) But not everybody craves a berth in a top field: For the first time, Grey’s Anatomy’s Patrick Dempsey entered himself in the supporting category, where he’ll duke it out with Justin Chambers and T.R. Knight. Why? ”Grey’s is not about one person,” says his rep. ”It’s an ensemble.” Better not say that around Ellen Pompeo, who — as in years past — is in contention for best actress.
Posted June 12 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Weeknd's 'Starboy' becomes third-biggest debut of 2016
- Stone Temple Pilots remember Scott Weiland one year after his death
- What to Watch: Chance the Rapper and James Taylor help light a tree
- Celebs react to Dakota Access Pipeline victory
- WATCH: Helen Mirren's ruff day turns adorable as she's surprised by puppies
- 'Westworld' finale: 10 unanswered questions
- 'Westworld': Ed Harris on those big finale twists
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big