The protests currently galvanizing Iran don’t focus on ending the barbaric custom of stoning as a punishment approved by Islamic law. But a reasonable person might well add the issue to the agenda after enduring this at times unbearably violent agitprop drama, based on the true story of an Iranian woman stoned to death after being falsely accused by her husband of adultery. The Stoning of Soraya M.’s drawn-out torture sequence is harrowing and lurid. Curious casting: Jim Caviezel, who himself endured onscreen torture as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ, plays the journalist who reports the crime to the world. B
Genre: Drama; Starring: Shohreh Aghdashloo, Jim Caviezel; Director: Cyrus Nowrasteh; Author: Cyrus Nowrasteh; Release Date Wide: 06/26/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Last Man on Earth': Will Forte on THAT season finale twist
- 'Game of Thrones' actor explains his surprisingly early exit
- 'Suicide Squad': First Look at rogues' gallery in costume
- 'Game of Thrones': Carice van Houten on nudity, Jon Snow
- 'Star Wars': 'Force Awakens' toys in Sept.
- J.K. Rowling sorry for a 'Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!