The protests currently galvanizing Iran don’t focus on ending the barbaric custom of stoning as a punishment approved by Islamic law. But a reasonable person might well add the issue to the agenda after enduring this at times unbearably violent agitprop drama, based on the true story of an Iranian woman stoned to death after being falsely accused by her husband of adultery. The Stoning of Soraya M.’s drawn-out torture sequence is harrowing and lurid. Curious casting: Jim Caviezel, who himself endured onscreen torture as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ, plays the journalist who reports the crime to the world. B
Genre: Drama; Starring: Shohreh Aghdashloo, Jim Caviezel; Director: Cyrus Nowrasteh; Author: Cyrus Nowrasteh; Release Date Wide: 06/26/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted June 30 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!