The protests currently galvanizing Iran don’t focus on ending the barbaric custom of stoning as a punishment approved by Islamic law. But a reasonable person might well add the issue to the agenda after enduring this at times unbearably violent agitprop drama, based on the true story of an Iranian woman stoned to death after being falsely accused by her husband of adultery. The Stoning of Soraya M.’s drawn-out torture sequence is harrowing and lurid. Curious casting: Jim Caviezel, who himself endured onscreen torture as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ, plays the journalist who reports the crime to the world. B
Genre: Drama; Starring: Shohreh Aghdashloo, Jim Caviezel; Director: Cyrus Nowrasteh; Author: Cyrus Nowrasteh; Release Date Wide: 06/26/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted June 30 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony