The protests currently galvanizing Iran don’t focus on ending the barbaric custom of stoning as a punishment approved by Islamic law. But a reasonable person might well add the issue to the agenda after enduring this at times unbearably violent agitprop drama, based on the true story of an Iranian woman stoned to death after being falsely accused by her husband of adultery. The Stoning of Soraya M.’s drawn-out torture sequence is harrowing and lurid. Curious casting: Jim Caviezel, who himself endured onscreen torture as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ, plays the journalist who reports the crime to the world. B
Genre: Drama; Starring: Shohreh Aghdashloo, Jim Caviezel; Director: Cyrus Nowrasteh; Author: Cyrus Nowrasteh; Release Date Wide: 06/26/2009; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted June 30 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'