In her debut feature, Boxing Helena (1993), director Jennifer Lynch tried way too hard to follow in the deep blue surrealist footsteps of her father, David Lynch. But she finds her own voice in Surveillance, a grubby, disturbing serial-killer mystery, a kind of blood-simple Rashomon. The events leading up to a gruesome highway murder are related by three witnesses: a druggie joyrider (Pell James), a young girl (Ryan Simpkins), and a cop (Kent Harper) who torments folks for sport. He may be sick, but FBI partners Bill Pullman and Julia Ormond show you the really dark side of the law. (Also available on cable via on demand) B+
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Julia Ormond, Bill Pullman; Director: Jennifer Chambers Lynch; Author: Jennifer Chambers Lynch, Kent Harper; Release Date Limited: 06/26/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R
Posted June 30 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Rock announces first stand-up tour in 9 years
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday