In her debut feature, Boxing Helena (1993), director Jennifer Lynch tried way too hard to follow in the deep blue surrealist footsteps of her father, David Lynch. But she finds her own voice in Surveillance, a grubby, disturbing serial-killer mystery, a kind of blood-simple Rashomon. The events leading up to a gruesome highway murder are related by three witnesses: a druggie joyrider (Pell James), a young girl (Ryan Simpkins), and a cop (Kent Harper) who torments folks for sport. He may be sick, but FBI partners Bill Pullman and Julia Ormond show you the really dark side of the law. (Also available on cable via on demand) B+
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Julia Ormond, Bill Pullman; Director: Jennifer Chambers Lynch; Author: Jennifer Chambers Lynch, Kent Harper; Release Date Limited: 06/26/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R
Posted June 30 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!