A family-friendly adventure about animated guinea pigs working as top-secret spies for the U.S. government, shot in Disney 3D and voiced by big-time stars including Nicolas Cage and Penelope Cruz, ought to be funny and kind of cute, right? Would you settle for frantic and loud, with a few lame jokes inserted pertaining to Cruz’s Spanish accent? The first 3-D film produced by Jerry Bruckheimer turns out to be similar to 2-D projects from the same noise-making producer?heavy on action scenes and heavy, too, on message: Everyone is special, family is important, and smashed-up stuff looks cool. C
Genre: Action/Adventure, Kids and Family; Starring: Nicolas Cage, Bill Nighy, Steve Buscemi, Penelope Cruz, Sam Rockwell; Director: Hoyt Yeatman; Author: Ted Elliott, Tim Firth, Terry Rossio, Cormac Wibberley, Marianne Wibberley; Release Date Wide: 07/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Outlander' is becoming a war story, explains showrunner
- James Bond: Sam Mendes thinks 'it's time for somebody else' to direct
- Tom Hardy chats with Princes William and Harry at charity polo tournament
- 'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?' trailer: James Franco's re-'vamp'
- Melissa McCarthy to 'Ghostbusters' haters: 'I hope they find a friend'
- Zac Efron shares 'High School Musical' throwback cast photo
- What is Essex Corp? 'X-Men: Apocalypse' post-credits scene explained
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers