A family-friendly adventure about animated guinea pigs working as top-secret spies for the U.S. government, shot in Disney 3D and voiced by big-time stars including Nicolas Cage and Penelope Cruz, ought to be funny and kind of cute, right? Would you settle for frantic and loud, with a few lame jokes inserted pertaining to Cruz’s Spanish accent? The first 3-D film produced by Jerry Bruckheimer turns out to be similar to 2-D projects from the same noise-making producer?heavy on action scenes and heavy, too, on message: Everyone is special, family is important, and smashed-up stuff looks cool. C
Genre: Action/Adventure, Kids and Family; Starring: Nicolas Cage, Bill Nighy, Steve Buscemi, Penelope Cruz, Sam Rockwell; Director: Hoyt Yeatman; Author: Ted Elliott, Tim Firth, Terry Rossio, Cormac Wibberley, Marianne Wibberley; Release Date Wide: 07/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A: 'I think Shonda cares deeply about the fans and how they will react'
- John Boyega talks 'Star Wars': 'something symbolic about new generation and old coming together'
- 'Furious 7' wins at box office again ($18.3M); No. 5 in all-time global earnings
- 'Goodfellas' reunion: 8 'funny' stories from the cast Q&A
- Jack White's final acoustic show will stream live on Tidal
- 'Key & Obama': Luther, the anger translator, appears at White House dinner