To really get under your skin, a bad-seed horror movie needs a demon child whose dastardliness sneaks up on you. There’s nothing too subtle, however, about Esther (Isabelle Fuhrman), the 9-year-old orphan adopted by the Colemans (Vera Farmiga and Peter Sarsgaard), who are out to put their tragic memories of a stillborn baby behind them. Pigtailed and freckled, Esther dresses like a frumpy Victorian doll, and she’s got a thousand-yard stare that could freeze rain. Worse than that, she was born in Russia and speaks with an accent that gets milked, in scene after scene, for its corny, junior-assassin malevolence. It’s as if the movie were saying, ”Forget all the Hollywood devil children you’ve seen — this one’s from the land of Putin!” Esther loses no time smashing animals, then people, with rocks and hammers, and even then she’s just getting started. She’s so extreme, in fact, that Orphan isn’t scary — it’s garish and plodding. Farmiga, as the recovering-alcoholic mother, brings the movie a dash of neurotic tension, but the only moments of audience catharsis emerge out of unintended hilarity, such as the creepily incongruous scene in which Esther tarts herself up into an evil baby-beauty-pageant Lolita. D+
Genre: Horror, Drama; Starring: Peter Sarsgaard, Jimmy Bennett, Vera Farmiga, Karel Roden; Director: Jaume Collet-Serra; Author: David Johnson; Release Date Wide: 07/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!