To really get under your skin, a bad-seed horror movie needs a demon child whose dastardliness sneaks up on you. There’s nothing too subtle, however, about Esther (Isabelle Fuhrman), the 9-year-old orphan adopted by the Colemans (Vera Farmiga and Peter Sarsgaard), who are out to put their tragic memories of a stillborn baby behind them. Pigtailed and freckled, Esther dresses like a frumpy Victorian doll, and she’s got a thousand-yard stare that could freeze rain. Worse than that, she was born in Russia and speaks with an accent that gets milked, in scene after scene, for its corny, junior-assassin malevolence. It’s as if the movie were saying, ”Forget all the Hollywood devil children you’ve seen — this one’s from the land of Putin!” Esther loses no time smashing animals, then people, with rocks and hammers, and even then she’s just getting started. She’s so extreme, in fact, that Orphan isn’t scary — it’s garish and plodding. Farmiga, as the recovering-alcoholic mother, brings the movie a dash of neurotic tension, but the only moments of audience catharsis emerge out of unintended hilarity, such as the creepily incongruous scene in which Esther tarts herself up into an evil baby-beauty-pageant Lolita. D+
Genre: Horror, Drama; Starring: Peter Sarsgaard, Jimmy Bennett, Vera Farmiga, Karel Roden; Director: Jaume Collet-Serra; Author: David Johnson; Release Date Wide: 07/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Harvey Weinstein is facing sexual assault allegations
- Evan Rachel Wood and Brandon Flowers go back to the 19th century for 'Can't Deny My Love' music video
- Death Cab for Cutie open up about 'Kintsugi' and conscious uncoupling with Chris Walla
- WWE's 'Wrestlemania' 31: The 5 best entrances and 5 most memorable moments
- Ariana Grande adds new dates and cities to The Honeymoon Tour
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: The Rock flexes his comedy muscles
- Smashing Pumpkins explore PTSD in "Drum + Fife" video
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!