To really get under your skin, a bad-seed horror movie needs a demon child whose dastardliness sneaks up on you. There’s nothing too subtle, however, about Esther (Isabelle Fuhrman), the 9-year-old orphan adopted by the Colemans (Vera Farmiga and Peter Sarsgaard), who are out to put their tragic memories of a stillborn baby behind them. Pigtailed and freckled, Esther dresses like a frumpy Victorian doll, and she’s got a thousand-yard stare that could freeze rain. Worse than that, she was born in Russia and speaks with an accent that gets milked, in scene after scene, for its corny, junior-assassin malevolence. It’s as if the movie were saying, ”Forget all the Hollywood devil children you’ve seen — this one’s from the land of Putin!” Esther loses no time smashing animals, then people, with rocks and hammers, and even then she’s just getting started. She’s so extreme, in fact, that Orphan isn’t scary — it’s garish and plodding. Farmiga, as the recovering-alcoholic mother, brings the movie a dash of neurotic tension, but the only moments of audience catharsis emerge out of unintended hilarity, such as the creepily incongruous scene in which Esther tarts herself up into an evil baby-beauty-pageant Lolita. D+
Genre: Horror, Drama; Starring: Peter Sarsgaard, Jimmy Bennett, Vera Farmiga, Karel Roden; Director: Jaume Collet-Serra; Author: David Johnson; Release Date Wide: 07/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'A Beautiful Mind' mathematician John Nash killed in car crash
- 'Turn' sneak peek: Washington meets Lafayette
- Chris Pratt: Why I'm ready to get away from Hollywood
- Matt Damon in Ridley Scott's 'The Martian': First Look
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!