Behind the camera, the Italian writer-director Nanni Moretti (The Son’s Room) can be an ?inspired artist, but as an actor he’s annoyingly affectless, like ?a Buster Keaton who has been forbidden to do any stunts. As Pietro in Quiet Chaos, a newly widowed father who opts out of work to spend each day planted in front of his daughter’s grade school (ah, those laissez-faire Italian office codes!), Moretti makes this ”study” in despair a naggingly neutral, at times borderline coy experience. We get the point — Pietro is a man who ”shows” his grief by showing nothing — but the film forces us to keep getting it, over and over again. C
(Chico De Luigi)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Nanni Moretti, Alessandro Gassman, Valeria Golino; Director: Antonio Luigi Grimaldi; Author: Nanni Moretti; Release Date Limited: 06/26/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 108
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?