Behind the camera, the Italian writer-director Nanni Moretti (The Son’s Room) can be an ?inspired artist, but as an actor he’s annoyingly affectless, like ?a Buster Keaton who has been forbidden to do any stunts. As Pietro in Quiet Chaos, a newly widowed father who opts out of work to spend each day planted in front of his daughter’s grade school (ah, those laissez-faire Italian office codes!), Moretti makes this ”study” in despair a naggingly neutral, at times borderline coy experience. We get the point — Pietro is a man who ”shows” his grief by showing nothing — but the film forces us to keep getting it, over and over again. C
(Chico De Luigi)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Nanni Moretti, Alessandro Gassman, Valeria Golino; Director: Antonio Luigi Grimaldi; Author: Nanni Moretti; Runtime (in minutes): 108
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt