Behind the camera, the Italian writer-director Nanni Moretti (The Son’s Room) can be an ?inspired artist, but as an actor he’s annoyingly affectless, like ?a Buster Keaton who has been forbidden to do any stunts. As Pietro in Quiet Chaos, a newly widowed father who opts out of work to spend each day planted in front of his daughter’s grade school (ah, those laissez-faire Italian office codes!), Moretti makes this ”study” in despair a naggingly neutral, at times borderline coy experience. We get the point — Pietro is a man who ”shows” his grief by showing nothing — but the film forces us to keep getting it, over and over again. C
(Chico De Luigi)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Nanni Moretti, Alessandro Gassman, Valeria Golino; Director: Antonio Luigi Grimaldi; Author: Nanni Moretti; Runtime (in minutes): 108
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!