Behind the camera, the Italian writer-director Nanni Moretti (The Son’s Room) can be an ?inspired artist, but as an actor he’s annoyingly affectless, like ?a Buster Keaton who has been forbidden to do any stunts. As Pietro in Quiet Chaos, a newly widowed father who opts out of work to spend each day planted in front of his daughter’s grade school (ah, those laissez-faire Italian office codes!), Moretti makes this ”study” in despair a naggingly neutral, at times borderline coy experience. We get the point — Pietro is a man who ”shows” his grief by showing nothing — but the film forces us to keep getting it, over and over again. C
(Chico De Luigi)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Nanni Moretti, Alessandro Gassman, Valeria Golino; Director: Antonio Luigi Grimaldi; Author: Nanni Moretti; Release Date Limited: 06/26/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 108
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- DreamWorks nabs film rights for Dennis Lehane's next novel, 'Since We Fell'
- Tracy Morgan does stand-up for first time since accident
- Mulder and Scully get animated in teaser for 'The X-Files' revival
- The most awkward 'Awkward' moments from 'The Big Reveal'
- Felicity Huffman's 'House of Moore' gets put pilot deal at ABC
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen are having a baby
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' premiere ratings high, but not as high as 'Freak Show'