Behind the camera, the Italian writer-director Nanni Moretti (The Son’s Room) can be an ?inspired artist, but as an actor he’s annoyingly affectless, like ?a Buster Keaton who has been forbidden to do any stunts. As Pietro in Quiet Chaos, a newly widowed father who opts out of work to spend each day planted in front of his daughter’s grade school (ah, those laissez-faire Italian office codes!), Moretti makes this ”study” in despair a naggingly neutral, at times borderline coy experience. We get the point — Pietro is a man who ”shows” his grief by showing nothing — but the film forces us to keep getting it, over and over again. C
(Chico De Luigi)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Nanni Moretti, Alessandro Gassman, Valeria Golino; Director: Antonio Luigi Grimaldi; Author: Nanni Moretti; Runtime (in minutes): 108
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More