Why is it that movies can never get the rhythms, the prickly ?defensive and confessional dance, of a therapy session — at least, not the way The Sopranos did? In Shrink, this sick-soul-of-Los-?Angeles drama, Kevin Spacey plays a psychiatrist to the stars, but the character is such a wretch — an addict who’s gone numb over his wife’s suicide — that he just sits there, slack and glum, without the pretense that he’s helping anyone. The movie is slack too. It wants to be Good Will Hunting set in the land of Entourage, but its bummed-out touchy-feeliness is every bit ?as concocted as its overly jaded showbiz corruption. C?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kevin Spacey, Saffron Burrows, Dallas Roberts; Director: Jonas Pate; Author: Thomas Moffett; Release Date Limited: 07/24/2009; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 105
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation': What are the critics saying?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!