Why is it that movies can never get the rhythms, the prickly ?defensive and confessional dance, of a therapy session — at least, not the way The Sopranos did? In Shrink, this sick-soul-of-Los-?Angeles drama, Kevin Spacey plays a psychiatrist to the stars, but the character is such a wretch — an addict who’s gone numb over his wife’s suicide — that he just sits there, slack and glum, without the pretense that he’s helping anyone. The movie is slack too. It wants to be Good Will Hunting set in the land of Entourage, but its bummed-out touchy-feeliness is every bit ?as concocted as its overly jaded showbiz corruption. C?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kevin Spacey, Saffron Burrows, Dallas Roberts; Director: Jonas Pate; Author: Thomas Moffett; Runtime (in minutes): 105
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!