Why is it that movies can never get the rhythms, the prickly ?defensive and confessional dance, of a therapy session — at least, not the way The Sopranos did? In Shrink, this sick-soul-of-Los-?Angeles drama, Kevin Spacey plays a psychiatrist to the stars, but the character is such a wretch — an addict who’s gone numb over his wife’s suicide — that he just sits there, slack and glum, without the pretense that he’s helping anyone. The movie is slack too. It wants to be Good Will Hunting set in the land of Entourage, but its bummed-out touchy-feeliness is every bit ?as concocted as its overly jaded showbiz corruption. C?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kevin Spacey, Saffron Burrows, Dallas Roberts; Director: Jonas Pate; Author: Thomas Moffett; Release Date Limited: 07/24/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 105
Posted July 27 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game