As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard’s new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It’s the Thursday before Labor Day in 1987, and 13-year-old Henry has lured his reclusive single mom out of the house for a trip to Pricemart. There they meet a guy named Frank who cajoles them into giving him a ride. He turns out to be an all-around fix-it guy, adept at baking pies and teaching baseball. He’s also an escapee from a nearby prison, the subject of a big manhunt, and just what Henry’s mom needs after years of postdivorce isolation. Labor Day works — despite its implausible Lifetime plot — by smartly focusing on the blinkered and somewhat naive perspective of Henry. B
Labor Day As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard's new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It's the Thursday before Labor Day in...Labor DayRomance, FictionJoyce Maynard As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard's new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It's the Thursday before Labor Day in...2009-07-29William Morrow
Genre: Romance, Fiction; Author: Joyce Maynard; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted July 29 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anthony Geary may return to 'General Hospital' if 'story is interesting'
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!