As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard’s new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It’s the Thursday before Labor Day in 1987, and 13-year-old Henry has lured his reclusive single mom out of the house for a trip to Pricemart. There they meet a guy named Frank who cajoles them into giving him a ride. He turns out to be an all-around fix-it guy, adept at baking pies and teaching baseball. He’s also an escapee from a nearby prison, the subject of a big manhunt, and just what Henry’s mom needs after years of postdivorce isolation. Labor Day works — despite its implausible Lifetime plot — by smartly focusing on the blinkered and somewhat naive perspective of Henry. B
Labor Day As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard's new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It's the Thursday before Labor Day in...Labor DayRomance, FictionJoyce Maynard As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard's new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It's the Thursday before Labor Day in...2009-07-29William Morrow
Genre: Romance, Fiction; Author: Joyce Maynard; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted July 29 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!