As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard’s new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It’s the Thursday before Labor Day in 1987, and 13-year-old Henry has lured his reclusive single mom out of the house for a trip to Pricemart. There they meet a guy named Frank who cajoles them into giving him a ride. He turns out to be an all-around fix-it guy, adept at baking pies and teaching baseball. He’s also an escapee from a nearby prison, the subject of a big manhunt, and just what Henry’s mom needs after years of postdivorce isolation. Labor Day works — despite its implausible Lifetime plot — by smartly focusing on the blinkered and somewhat naive perspective of Henry. B
Labor Day As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard's new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It's the Thursday before Labor Day in...Labor DayRomance, FictionJoyce Maynard As romantic fantasies go, the premise of Joyce Maynard's new novel, Labor Day is a doozy: It's the Thursday before Labor Day in...2009-07-29William Morrow
Genre: Romance, Fiction; Author: Joyce Maynard; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!