Andrew Bujalski, the maestro of mumble- core (Funny Ha Ha, Mutual Appreciation), must have realized he couldn’t just make another movie about ironic slackers in the Northeast dithering their way toward love — and he hasn’t, exactly. Beeswax, his new film, is about ironic slackers in Austin dithering their way toward…war over a small business. Jeannie (Tilly Hatcher), stern and in a wheelchair, and Corinne (Katy O’Connor), Jeannie’s diffident partner in a shabby-chic bohemian clothes boutique, must decide if they want to move forward or sue each other. There are fine, fresh observational moments, but the film is much ado about not so much. B?
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Director: Andrew Bujalski; Author: Andrew Bujalski; Release Date Wide: 08/07/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: The Cinema Guild
Posted August 7 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal': Bellamy Young talks Fitz and Olivia's now-public affair
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere
- 'Game of Thrones' cast speculates about season 6 (and beyond) at NYCC