More like a summer-camp theater project than a studio movie, Shorts’ noodly, kid-oriented action-adventure story follows a magic, wish-granting rock as it falls into various pint-size hands in one all-American suburb. Kid-at-heart filmmaker Robert Rodriguez, whose playtime Spy Kids trilogy gets a gold star, looks like he’s having great fun, but what about the rest of us? Can we wish for a fresher subplot than that of pleasure-deadened grown-ups who live their lives in a stupor of consumerism? C+
Genre: Kids and Family; Starring: Kat Dennings, Trevor Gagnon, Leo Howard, William H. Macy, Rebel Rodriguez, Jimmy Bennett, Leslie Mann; Director: Robert Rodriguez; Author: Robert Rodriguez; Release Date Wide: 08/21/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 89; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted August 21 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal' actor Tony Goldwyn thinks Fitz should get on Tinder
- 'Price is Right' specials to host contestants from 'Big Brother,' 'Survivor'
- Ross Marquand of 'TWD' to guest-star on 'The Mindy Project,' 'Deadbeat'
- Stephen Colbert thinks 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' sounds depressing
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996