Many werewolf movies came before it and even more have been made since, but John Landis’ giddy, gory 1981 horror comedy An American Werewolf in London remains the lycanthropic gold standard. Two smart-ass American backpackers wander the northern English moors during a full moon. One (Griffin Dunne) is clawed to ribbons; the other (David Naughton) survives, but with a bloodthirsty curse. Ironically, now that digital F/X can spin anything into eye candy, Rick Baker’s old-school makeup gags look more impressive than ever. EXTRAS on the two-disc set include a fantastic new 100-minute retrospective. A?
Genre: Horror, Comedy; Starring: Griffin Dunne, David Naughton, Jenny Agutter, Paul Kember, Don McKillop, John Woodvine; Director: John Landis; Author: John Landis; Producer (group): American Werewolf, Inc., Lyncanthrope Films, PolyGram Filmed Entertainment; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: PolyGram Filmed Entertainment, Universal
Posted September 2 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Why Kate Winslet was nervous to meet the real Joanna Hoffman for 'Steve Jobs'
- See Taylor Swift and Charli XCX perform 'Boom Clap' in Toronto
- See 'The Night Before' stars spoof 'Big' in new clip
- Box office report: 'The Martian' lifts off with $55 million
- 'Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz' tour details revealed
- Visit the 'Miracle' town in new 'The Leftovers' season 2 teasers
- Taylor Swift inducts the entire world into her squad in 'SNL' sketch