Many werewolf movies came before it and even more have been made since, but John Landis’ giddy, gory 1981 horror comedy An American Werewolf in London remains the lycanthropic gold standard. Two smart-ass American backpackers wander the northern English moors during a full moon. One (Griffin Dunne) is clawed to ribbons; the other (David Naughton) survives, but with a bloodthirsty curse. Ironically, now that digital F/X can spin anything into eye candy, Rick Baker’s old-school makeup gags look more impressive than ever. EXTRAS on the two-disc set include a fantastic new 100-minute retrospective. A?
Genre: Horror, Comedy; Starring: Griffin Dunne, David Naughton, Jenny Agutter, Paul Kember, Don McKillop, John Woodvine; Director: John Landis; Author: John Landis; Producer (group): American Werewolf, Inc., Lyncanthrope Films, PolyGram Filmed Entertainment; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: PolyGram Filmed Entertainment, Universal
Posted September 2 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bon Iver's Justin Vernon slams Beyoncé for Pepsi partnership
- Lin-Manuel Miranda sings 'Yoda' with Weird Al at New York concert
- 'CBS Sunday Morning': Jane Pauley will replace Charles Osgood
- Watch Kanye West's surprise performance with Chance the Rapper
- Patrick Stewart on doing drag for the first time in 'Blunt Talk'
- Marvel delayed 'Doctor Strange' release for Benedict Cumberbatch
- Kim Kardashian clarifies she'll vote Hillary over Trump