Many werewolf movies came before it and even more have been made since, but John Landis’ giddy, gory 1981 horror comedy An American Werewolf in London remains the lycanthropic gold standard. Two smart-ass American backpackers wander the northern English moors during a full moon. One (Griffin Dunne) is clawed to ribbons; the other (David Naughton) survives, but with a bloodthirsty curse. Ironically, now that digital F/X can spin anything into eye candy, Rick Baker’s old-school makeup gags look more impressive than ever. EXTRAS on the two-disc set include a fantastic new 100-minute retrospective. A?
Genre: Horror, Comedy; Starring: Griffin Dunne, David Naughton, Jenny Agutter, Paul Kember, Don McKillop, John Woodvine; Director: John Landis; Author: John Landis; Producer (group): American Werewolf, Inc., Lyncanthrope Films, PolyGram Filmed Entertainment; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: PolyGram Filmed Entertainment, Universal
Posted September 2 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss teases new Murder Night and more
- Kanye West reveals final track list for album now named 'The Life of Pablo'
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: 'Deadpool' star Ryan Reynolds reveals when he feels his sexiest
- Brenda Strong compares her 'Desperate Housewives' and 'The 100' characters
- See Arcade Fire's David Bowie tribute parade
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday