Nocturnes would seem like a perfectly good book if it didn’t have Kazuo Ishiguro’s name on it. After so many masterful novels full of wistfulness, remorse, and dread — The Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go being personal favorites — he has set the bar so high that you can’t help but be underwhelmed by these five tales, most of which revolve around some naive, music-loving man getting an unpleasant glimpse into somebody else’s relationship. Ishiguro’s prose is looser than usual. It’s fitting for the characters, but you miss the hypnotic, hyper-controlled stuff he built his reputation on. Less talented writers could have written this book and gotten an A for effort. Ishiguro will have to settle for a B.
Nocturnes Nocturnes would seem like a perfectly good book if it didn't have Kazuo Ishiguro's name on it. After so many masterful novels full...NocturnesFiction, Short StoriesKazuo Ishiguro Nocturnes would seem like a perfectly good book if it didn't have Kazuo Ishiguro's name on it. After so many masterful novels full...2009-09-18Knopf
Genre: Fiction, Short Stories; Author: Kazuo Ishiguro; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More