Oh, Spooner, you make it hard to love you. Georgia boy Warren Spooner practically ripped his mother open when he came into this world — a fact the miserable woman never let him forget — and he finds trouble for the rest of his colorful life. His one real emotional tether is to his adoptive father, Calmer, a kindhearted former Navy man who can’t save the boy but loves him nonetheless. Pete Dexter, the gorgeous writer of hard beauties like Paris Trout, will make you laugh yourself into a fit one page and hold back tears the next, even though he sometimes lets his story careen off the rails (particularly in later scenes of Spooner’s adult life). Throughout this sprawling heart-thumper of a read, the writing goes down like a feast. A?
Spooner Oh, Spooner, you make it hard to love you. Georgia boy Warren Spooner practically ripped his mother open when he came into this...SpoonerFictionPete Dexter Oh, Spooner, you make it hard to love you. Georgia boy Warren Spooner practically ripped his mother open when he came into this...2009-09-18Grand Central Publishing
Genre: Fiction; Author: Pete Dexter; Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More