As the youngest of the Kennedy brood, Ted Kennedy — overshadowed by his dashing brothers — was frequently mistaken for a lightweight. His father told him, ”You can have a serious life or a nonserious life, Teddy. I’ll still love you whichever choice you make. But if you decide to have a nonserious life, I won’t have much time for you.” Ted opted for the serious and toiled in the Senate for nearly 50 years, becoming enmeshed in the most gripping legislative issues of his day. If the writing about his marriage and Chappaquiddick in True Compass does not exactly seem introspective, neither does it ring false, and the rest of his life story — filled with colorful tales of his siblings and inside-the-Beltway detail — makes for a thoughtful, intermittently gut-wrenching read. A
True Compass: A Memoir As the youngest of the Kennedy brood, Ted Kennedy — overshadowed by his dashing brothers — was frequently mistaken for a lightweight. His...True Compass: A MemoirMemoir, NonfictionEdward Kennedy As the youngest of the Kennedy brood, Ted Kennedy — overshadowed by his dashing brothers — was frequently mistaken for a lightweight. His...2009-09-18
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Edward Kennedy
Posted September 18 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Gilmore Girls' Fan Fest happening in town that inspired Stars Hollow
- Video Music Awards 2016: How well do you know the nominees?
- WATCH: Winter Soldier has shield envy in 'Civil War' deleted scene
- Naya Rivera reveals she had an abortion during 'Glee'
- Cher slams Donald Trump as 'f---ing idiot'
- CHVRCHES cover Calvin Harris & Rihanna's 'This Is What You Came For'
- 'Nashville' star eyes exit as premiere date confirmed
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...