NYC high school students sing, dance, emote in acting classes, and otherwise insist that America’s got talent, but this unnecessarily tepid, conservative remake of 1980’s far more famous and affecting original Fame suggests otherwise. Why settle for this dull, safe production — at once airbrushed in plot and undisciplined in execution — when you can watch Glee? The teachers (including original cast member Debbie Allen as school principal) turn out to be the best part of the show. The kids try hard, but mostly look grim while pretending to smile. C
Genre: Musical; Starring: Debbie Allen, Asher Book, Naturi Naughton, Kelsey Grammer, Bebe Neuwirth; Director: Kevin Tancharoen; Author: Alison Burnett; Release Date Wide: 09/25/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted September 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Nicole Scherzinger lose her mind over some 'freak of nature' magic
- 'You're the Worst' snags Echo Kellum in season 2
- President Obama documents his 'Running Wild' trip with Bear Grylls in selfies
- 'Are You The One?' season 3 trailer: See the new twist in action
- Theo Rossi joins 'Luke Cage' cast, Rosario Dawson will return as Claire Temple
- Garbage to reissue 20th anniversary edition of their debut album
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Bill Hader, and Jason Sudeikis to guest on 'Billy on the Street'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!