NYC high school students sing, dance, emote in acting classes, and otherwise insist that America’s got talent, but this unnecessarily tepid, conservative remake of 1980’s far more famous and affecting original Fame suggests otherwise. Why settle for this dull, safe production — at once airbrushed in plot and undisciplined in execution — when you can watch Glee? The teachers (including original cast member Debbie Allen as school principal) turn out to be the best part of the show. The kids try hard, but mostly look grim while pretending to smile. C
Genre: Musical; Starring: Debbie Allen, Asher Book, Naturi Naughton, Kelsey Grammer, Bebe Neuwirth; Director: Kevin Tancharoen; Author: Alison Burnett; Release Date Wide: 09/25/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted September 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- Gal Godot: 'It’s impossible not to be a little nervous' about playing Wonder Woman
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!