NYC high school students sing, dance, emote in acting classes, and otherwise insist that America’s got talent, but this unnecessarily tepid, conservative remake of 1980’s far more famous and affecting original Fame suggests otherwise. Why settle for this dull, safe production — at once airbrushed in plot and undisciplined in execution — when you can watch Glee? The teachers (including original cast member Debbie Allen as school principal) turn out to be the best part of the show. The kids try hard, but mostly look grim while pretending to smile. C
Genre: Musical; Starring: Debbie Allen, Asher Book, Naturi Naughton, Kelsey Grammer, Bebe Neuwirth; Director: Kevin Tancharoen; Author: Alison Burnett; Release Date Wide: 09/25/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted September 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Behind Mark's surprising decision, and what's next
- The first 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer has arrived
- Adele performs 'Hello' with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and classroom instruments
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic
- Trump rivals will get their equal air time on NBC stations