NYC high school students sing, dance, emote in acting classes, and otherwise insist that America’s got talent, but this unnecessarily tepid, conservative remake of 1980’s far more famous and affecting original Fame suggests otherwise. Why settle for this dull, safe production — at once airbrushed in plot and undisciplined in execution — when you can watch Glee? The teachers (including original cast member Debbie Allen as school principal) turn out to be the best part of the show. The kids try hard, but mostly look grim while pretending to smile. C
Genre: Musical; Starring: Debbie Allen, Asher Book, Naturi Naughton, Kelsey Grammer, Bebe Neuwirth; Director: Kevin Tancharoen; Author: Alison Burnett; Release Date Wide: 09/25/2009; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted September 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fantastic Four' honest trailer has a problem with cloud-based villains
- Watch Alice in Chains cover Bowie at an early gig
- Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards call off engagement
- ABC's new thriller 'Quantico' asks a big question: Who's really the terrorist?
- See the first teaser for Martin Scorsese's rock drama 'Vinyl'
- 'Destiny' is replacing Peter Dinklage with Nolan North as the voice of Ghost
- Joel McHale says no more 'Community,' but movie hopes remain