In this serviceable sci-fi thriller set in a near future where imperfect humans stay home and program prettier robots to represent them out in the world, the moral is this: Be yourself, even if, in the case of Bruce Willis, it means accepting your male-pattern baldness. Willis stars in Surrogates as an FBI agent investigating irregularities in the lucrative surrogacy biz. Rosamund Pike plays his wife, who prefers things plastic and pretty. There’s fun robot stuff, some good philosophical ideas, and a brief, nutty Willis-Ving Rhames reunion 15 years after Pulp Fiction. B
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Bruce Willis, Radha Mitchell, Rosamund Pike, Ving Rhames; Director: Jonathan Mostow; Author: Michael Ferris; Release Date Wide: 09/25/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted September 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Inside Amazon's edgy romantic comedy 'Catastrophe'
- Exclusive trailer for Chris Tucker's first stand-up special
- 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' and 'Korra' creator previews new graphic novel
- Patton Oswalt, Paul Reubens and more star in Telltale Games' 'Minecraft: Story Mode'
- Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher married
- Blur's Damon Albarn carried offstage at Denmark fest
- Someone made a cool trailer for Netflix's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' -- but it wasn't Netflix
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!