In A Change in Latitude, Anita Shreve abandons her familiar New England settings for the arid plains and lush expat gardens of 1970s Kenya — though she imports the sudden tragedies that habitually center her fiction. Freshly minted doctor Patrick and photojournalist Margaret are newlyweds just finding their footing in Nairobi — and in their marriage — when a mountain-climbing accident spins their world off its axis. Shreve, who spent three years in Africa as a young woman, brings the continent vividly to life, but never quite injects her characters with the same immediacy. Margaret remains a cipher, and not a particularly likable one at that; it’s as if she exists behind a hazy scrim of mosquito netting — of the story, but never truly in it. B?
A Change in Altitude In A Change in Latitude, Anita Shreve abandons her familiar New England settings for the arid plains and lush expat gardens of ...A Change in AltitudeFictionAnita Shreve In A Change in Latitude, Anita Shreve abandons her familiar New England settings for the arid plains and lush expat gardens of ...2009-10-02Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anita Shreve; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!