New information in the David Letterman extortion case reported by People.com this afternoon reveals that the main suspect in the alleged crime, Robert “Joe” Halderman, who demanded $2 million to keep quiet about Letterman’s sexual encounters with Late Show staff members, was the boyfriend of Letterman’s former assistant, Stephanie Birkitt. According to a search warrant obtained by Fox 5 New York, Halderman used portions of Birkitt’s diary (reportedly without her consent) as part of the extortion plot. Back in 2002, EW interviewed Birkitt to find out what it was really like to work at The Late Show with Dave: In the Q&A, Birkitt discusses workplace wackiness with Letterman, including an epic pizza-eating dare and an instance where the late-night funnyman asked if he could push her face in a cake. Click here to read the entire interview, be sure to check out Ken Tucker’s take on last night’s Late Show confessional, and get the rundown on the full case at our News Briefs blog.
Posted October 2 2009 — 12:32 PM EDT
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?
- CBS pulls 'Angel From Hell' from schedule
- 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee' premiere: Talk about it here
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: The Most Dramatic 'Bachelor' Recap Ever: Episode 6
- 'Scorpion' stars break down big Quintis moment
- Oscars show will be 'most diverse ever,' producer says
- 'X-Files' writer on Monday night's huge spoiler