Philip Roth’s slim new novel concerns the curious case of a legendary stage actor who appears to be storming through his 60s when he suddenly freezes up and loses his power to pretend. It’s a surprising subject for Roth. The guy may be 76, but he’s been on an audacious hot streak for a dozen years. The Humbling largely deals with the disconsolate actor’s affair with a much younger lesbian. It’s a good, not great, book — an entertaining inquiry into the relationship between sex and creativity, sex and age, and sex and the ego. (See a theme?) There are some sparks here, but momentarily at least, Roth seems to have lost his own ability to perform. B
The Humbling Philip Roth's slim new novel concerns the curious case of a legendary stage actor who appears to be storming through his 60s when he suddenly ...The HumblingFictionPhilip Roth Philip Roth's slim new novel concerns the curious case of a legendary stage actor who appears to be storming through his 60s when he suddenly ...2009-10-23Houghton Mifflin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Philip Roth; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Posted October 23 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!