Lisa Niemi, Patrick Swayze’s widow, was on Oprah today for her first TV interview, after an appearance earlier this week at the Women’s Conference 2009 roundtable on grief. Niemi told Oprah that she struggled with the shift from medical treatment to palliative care, and that she “feel[s] like he hasn’t left.” She also discussed the couple’s temporary separation in 2003 due to Swayze’s alcohol abuse at the time. “He was imploding pretty badly,” Niemi, his wife of 34 years, said. She described Swayze’s diagnosis with pancreatic cancer as “mind-numbing,” but said the two didn’t discuss death because they were “too positive.” “We were what we called optimist realists,” she said. More on the interview can be found on Oprah’s website.
Posted October 30 2009 — 5:14 PM EDT
- Kanye West: 'Things are going better,' says Ryan Seacrest
- Patton Oswalt opens up about being a single father after wife's death
- Matthew Broderick debuts his very own Donald Trump impression
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen make for ultimate Charades team
- Conan O'Brien used 'Hamilton' to help explain Trump victory to upset kids
- Veteran character actress Alice Drummond dies at 88
- Canadian police apologize to Nickelback for drunk driving joke
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big