Disney plans to create a new videogame around Mickey Mouse as part of a larger effort to inject new life into the iconic character, according to Variety. Epic Mickey, due late next year, will showcase Mickey as a mischievous hero—a persona the character had in early Disney cartoon shorts like Steamboat Willie but one that has been largely lost over the decades, as Mickey Mouse has become more cheerful and personality-less. The game, which will be released exclusively on the Wii platform, will feature a plotline in which Mickey is kidnapped and brought to Cartoon Wasteland, where he eventually has to do battle with an enemy. Disney hopes that a newly reinvigorated Mickey Mouse could soon propel new movies, comic books, and other projects.
Posted November 2 2009 — 11:05 PM EST
- 'GOTG 2' director James Gunn says Baby Groot isn't a marketing ploy
- Tim Miller on his 'Deadpool 2' exit: 'Don't believe what you read'
- Carrie Fisher feels 'guilty' over publicity of Harrison Ford affair
- Dwayne Johnson has been milking his 'Sexiest Man Alive' title at home
- Kirk Douglas celebrates 100th birthday with lavish party
- Kesha delivers emotional 'Billboard' Trailblazer award speech
- Dwayne Johnson surprises military family and makes Jimmy Fallon cry