I so wanted to love this sprawling, old-fashioned historical novel, Barbara Kingsolver’s first in nine years. The Lacuna is the tale of Harrison Shepherd, an American-born, Mexican-bred boy whose life takes him from a coastal jungle village to Mexico City, where he wangles a job mixing plaster for Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo (after that, he works as Leon Trotsky’s secretary). But the book — told through newspaper clippings, letters, bits of memoirs, and the like — never quite comes together. Though the rich smells and sounds of 1930s Mexico seem to spill off the page, when Kingsolver moves Shepherd to the U.S., where he becomes a famous novelist, her plot grows muddy — and, worse, a bit predictable. B
The LacunaI so wanted to love this sprawling, old-fashioned historical novel, Barbara Kingsolver's first in nine years. The Lacuna is the tale of...The LacunaHistory, FictionBarbara KingsolverI so wanted to love this sprawling, old-fashioned historical novel, Barbara Kingsolver's first in nine years. The Lacuna is the tale of...2009-11-04HarperCollins
The Lucana by Barbara Kingsolver
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Barbara Kingsolver; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted November 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Aaron Tveit, Daniel Sunjata sum up 'Graceland' in 30 seconds
- 'Hannibal' boss previews series finale, considers cannibalism
- 'Suicide Squad' wrap photo is like a 'Where's Waldo?'
- Lionsgate planning movie based on 'Borderlands' video game
- What it was like inside Lady Gaga's blood-red 'American Horror Story' pool party
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Blacklist,' 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'The Flash' and more
- How well do you know The Weeknd's lyrics?
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!