It’s getting a bit repetitive saying ”Pixar has done it again.” But here goes: Pixar has done it again. The 10th film off the animation powerhouse’s assembly line, Up is a lighter-than-air fable about a crotchety old widower (Ed Asner in gruff Lou Grant mode) who floats to South America in a rickety house tethered to thousands of balloons, with a chubby little stowaway along for the ride. Like most Pixar features, the setup is the best part. But really, that’s splitting hairs — the entire movie’s a gem. EXTRAS include a wonderfully nerdy commentary from directors Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, and a new original short starring Dug, Up’s lovably dumb mutt. A-
BALLOON BOY Ed Asner gets a lift as Up's grumpy hero (Disney/Pixar)
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Ed Asner, Delroy Lindo, Christopher Plummer, John Ratzenberger; Director: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson; Author: Bob Peterson; Release Date Wide: 05/29/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!