It’s getting a bit repetitive saying ”Pixar has done it again.” But here goes: Pixar has done it again. The 10th film off the animation powerhouse’s assembly line, Up is a lighter-than-air fable about a crotchety old widower (Ed Asner in gruff Lou Grant mode) who floats to South America in a rickety house tethered to thousands of balloons, with a chubby little stowaway along for the ride. Like most Pixar features, the setup is the best part. But really, that’s splitting hairs — the entire movie’s a gem. EXTRAS include a wonderfully nerdy commentary from directors Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, and a new original short starring Dug, Up’s lovably dumb mutt. A-
BALLOON BOY Ed Asner gets a lift as Up's grumpy hero (Disney/Pixar)
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Ed Asner, Delroy Lindo, Christopher Plummer, John Ratzenberger; Director: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson; Author: Bob Peterson; Release Date Wide: 05/29/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!