It’s getting a bit repetitive saying ”Pixar has done it again.” But here goes: Pixar has done it again. The 10th film off the animation powerhouse’s assembly line, Up is a lighter-than-air fable about a crotchety old widower (Ed Asner in gruff Lou Grant mode) who floats to South America in a rickety house tethered to thousands of balloons, with a chubby little stowaway along for the ride. Like most Pixar features, the setup is the best part. But really, that’s splitting hairs — the entire movie’s a gem. EXTRAS include a wonderfully nerdy commentary from directors Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, and a new original short starring Dug, Up’s lovably dumb mutt. A-
BALLOON BOY Ed Asner gets a lift as Up's grumpy hero (Disney/Pixar)
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Ed Asner, Delroy Lindo, Christopher Plummer, John Ratzenberger; Director: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson; Author: Bob Peterson; Release Date Wide: 05/29/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!