It’s getting a bit repetitive saying ”Pixar has done it again.” But here goes: Pixar has done it again. The 10th film off the animation powerhouse’s assembly line, Up is a lighter-than-air fable about a crotchety old widower (Ed Asner in gruff Lou Grant mode) who floats to South America in a rickety house tethered to thousands of balloons, with a chubby little stowaway along for the ride. Like most Pixar features, the setup is the best part. But really, that’s splitting hairs — the entire movie’s a gem. EXTRAS include a wonderfully nerdy commentary from directors Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, and a new original short starring Dug, Up’s lovably dumb mutt. A-
BALLOON BOY Ed Asner gets a lift as Up's grumpy hero (Disney/Pixar)
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Ed Asner, Delroy Lindo, Christopher Plummer, John Ratzenberger; Director: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson; Author: Bob Peterson; Release Date Wide: 05/29/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game