It’s getting a bit repetitive saying ”Pixar has done it again.” But here goes: Pixar has done it again. The 10th film off the animation powerhouse’s assembly line, Up is a lighter-than-air fable about a crotchety old widower (Ed Asner in gruff Lou Grant mode) who floats to South America in a rickety house tethered to thousands of balloons, with a chubby little stowaway along for the ride. Like most Pixar features, the setup is the best part. But really, that’s splitting hairs — the entire movie’s a gem. EXTRAS include a wonderfully nerdy commentary from directors Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, and a new original short starring Dug, Up’s lovably dumb mutt. A-
BALLOON BOY Ed Asner gets a lift as Up's grumpy hero (Disney/Pixar)
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Ed Asner, Delroy Lindo, Christopher Plummer, John Ratzenberger; Director: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson; Author: Bob Peterson; Release Date Wide: 05/29/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 4 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to NYU students: 'You're f--ked'
- Kurt Sutter's new series a go at FX
- Mike Huckabee posts support for Duggars
- 'Tomorrowland': What did the critics think?
- 'Golan the Insatiable' with Aubrey Plaza and Rob Riggle: First Look trailer
- Amy Schumer and Paul Feig to pair up for new comedy
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!