Andrew Garfield and Heath Ledger had a friend in common, so Garfield wasn’t surprised when Ledger showed up at his 24th birthday party. What did surprise him was Ledger’s gift: news that Garfield would be Ledger’s costar in Terry Gilliam’s surreal The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (opening Dec. 25). He’d never even told Ledger he’d auditioned. ”He came to my party, gave me this really big hug, and said, ‘Welcome to the family,”’ says Garfield, now 26. But the two actors competed on set, playing rivals for the attentions of the fatherly mystic Parnassus (Christopher Plummer) and his comely daughter (Lily Cole). ”We wanted to challenge each other, and Heath was so strong,” says Garfield (Lions for Lambs). ”He made me fight harder than I ever had, and I’m so thankful to him for it.” Ledger’s death midshoot left a huge void, filled on screen by Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell. On the set, ”it was like limping,” recalls Garfield. ”A limb had been severed from all of us.” The finished film, which Garfield first saw at Cannes in May, was a welcome salve. ”It made my jaw hit the floor,” says the actor, who just started work on David Fincher’s Facebook movie, The Social Network. ”I grew up watching Terry’s films, and it was a special moment realizing I’m in one of those films.”
Posted November 6 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chris Rock announces first stand-up tour in 9 years
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday