Rose McIver has been working since age 3, thanks to commercials and TV shows in her native New Zealand, as well as two Disney Channel movies — but she’s never been someone you’d recognize on the street. Well, she’s about to find out what a difference one role can make. The actress, 21, has a pivotal part in The Lovely Bones, Peter Jackson’s adaptation of the riveting 2002 novel, which hits theaters Dec. 11. She plays Lindsey, the inquisitive younger sister of the teenage Susie (Saoirse Ronan), a murder victim watching over her family from the afterlife. ”It was one of the first books I read with such complex subject matter,” says McIver, who discovered the novel at 13. To play Lindsey, the actress had to channel her inner teenager. ”We shot out of sequence, so one day I might be playing 12 in the morning, 15 in the afternoon, and 19 in the evening. But I’ve had all of those experiences. It wasn’t like I was trying to play a 50-year-old!” McIver, a psychology and linguistics major at New Zealand’s University of Auckland, seems poised for a great acting career — she’s also shot a crime comedy called Predicament. But she won’t be distracted by fame: ”I’ve got exams next week, so that’s keeping me plenty busy.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!