Variety reports that Jennifer Hudson is set to star as Winnie Mandela in drama Winnie. The film about the former wife of South Africa’s first black president Nelson Mandela will start shooting May 30 in South Africa. Darrell J. Roodt (Cry, The Beloved Country) will direct. The filmmakers said they will tell the good and bad of Winnie Mandela’s life, including her support during Nelson’s imprisonment but also later conviction for fraud. Hudson told Variety: “Winnie Mandela is a complex and extraordinary woman and I’m honored to be the actress asked to portray her. This is a powerful part of history that should be told.” She is also expected to sing the film’s theme song.
Posted November 18 2009 — 4:00 AM EST
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony
- 'Silence' reviews: Martin Scorsese's grand epic becomes dull roar