Flying arrows rain down like deadly needles. Soldiers wield their shields in formations worthy of a Busby Berkeley musical. A beautiful woman pours tea with intoxicating precision. There’s plenty of vivid action to fill two and a half hours in John Woo’s Chinese historical war epic Red Cliff, a rewarding change of terrain and era for the inventive Hong Kong director. The spectacular battle scenes are the engorged heart of the delirious adventure. But Woo also gets maximum romantic value from Tony Leung as a war hero married to Chiling Lin as the tea-pouring beauty. B+
RIDE FOR RUIN, AND THE WORLD'S ENDING! That's no white flag that Jun Hu is waving in Red Cliff
Genre: War, Historical; Starring: Chiling Lin, Tony Leung, Zhang Fengyi; Director: John Woo; Author: John Woo; Release Date Limited: 11/20/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 148; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 19 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Daisy Ridley says next 'Star Wars' title won't be revealed for a while
- Emily Blunt shares Julie Andrews' reaction to her Mary Poppins casting
- Kevin Smith recalls awkward text exchange with daughter
- ‘The Goldbergs’ enlists ‘The Office’ alum for ‘Brady Bunch’ episode
- Britney Spears says Carpool Karaoke was 'fun,' 'awkward'
- MTV VMAs: The most memorable performances
- 10 facts about Pearl Jam's 'Ten'