Flying arrows rain down like deadly needles. Soldiers wield their shields in formations worthy of a Busby Berkeley musical. A beautiful woman pours tea with intoxicating precision. There’s plenty of vivid action to fill two and a half hours in John Woo’s Chinese historical war epic Red Cliff, a rewarding change of terrain and era for the inventive Hong Kong director. The spectacular battle scenes are the engorged heart of the delirious adventure. But Woo also gets maximum romantic value from Tony Leung as a war hero married to Chiling Lin as the tea-pouring beauty. B+
RIDE FOR RUIN, AND THE WORLD'S ENDING! That's no white flag that Jun Hu is waving in Red Cliff
Genre: War, Historical; Starring: Chiling Lin, Tony Leung, Zhang Fengyi; Director: John Woo; Author: John Woo; Release Date Limited: 11/20/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 148; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 19 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama crashes Stephen Colbert's post-Super Bowl 'Late Show'
- Twitter finds unofficial Super Bowl mascot in diarrhea medication ad
- Schick channels 'Transformers' for Super Bowl 50 ad
- Taraji P. Henson confuses Coldplay with Maroon 5: 'Oooooooopppps. Lmao!'
- These are the best Super Bowl 50 halftime show GIFs
- Psylocke swoops in during 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Super Bowl teaser
- See all the movie trailers that aired during Super Bowl 50