This brave documentary takes on the topic of anti-Semitism in a relentlessly probing and original way. The director of Defamation, Yoav Shamir, is an Israeli who has grown disillusioned with the way his country’s fixation on the Holocaust has, in his view, devolved from a moral necessity into a corrosive ideology of fear. Shamir intercuts teens from Israel on a field trip to Auschwitz; a complexly skeptical look at Abe Foxman, head of America’s Anti-Defamation League; and a portrait of the ire faced by authors like Norman Finkelstein, who claims that anti-Semitism is now exaggerated by its victims. A-
NEVER FORGET Israeli high school students outside Auschwitz in Defamation
Genre: Documentary; Director: Yoav Shamir; Author: Yoav Shamir; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 24 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- J.K. Rowling cheers Ireland's gay wed vote
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!