The merry old home-for-the-holidays formula gets a somber French twist in the downbeat import A Christmas Tale. Catherine Deneuve, radiant as ever, plays the dying matriarch of a dysfunctional family who needs a bone-marrow transplant from one of her three messed-up children. It’s hard to tell what’s worse, though: her blood or her bloodline. The EXTRAS on this two-disc edition include a great 2007 doc about director Arnaud Desplechin’s own clan and a terrific making-of in English. B+.
A CHRISTMAS TALE Anne Consigny, Hippolyte Girardot and Catherine Deneuve celebrate the holidays (Jean-Claude Lother/IFC)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Catherine Deneuve, Jean-Paul Roussillon, Emile Berling, Mathieu Amalric; Director: Arnaud Desplechin; Author: Emmanuel Bourdieu, Arnaud Desplechin; Release Date Limited: 11/14/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 152; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted December 2 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!