Al Pacino has been cast to play Shylock in summer 2010’s Shakespeare in the Park staging of The Merchant of Venice, Variety is reporting. Pacino is among a pool of actors that will appear in not just Merchant, but also The Winter’s Tale, forming a twin bill for the storied New York theater series. Joining Pacino: Jesse Martin (Law & Order) and Ruben Santiago-Hudson (ABC’s Castle; American Gangster). Pacino – who has previously played Shylock on the New York stage – is no stranger to Shakespeare: in 1988, he starred in Shakespeare in the Park’s Julius Caesar, and in 1996 he directed and starred in the acclaimed documentary film Looking For Richard, an in-depth examination of Richard III.
Posted December 7 2009 — 7:55 PM EST
- See Jennifer Lawrence's seventh grade yearbook superlative
- Get a sneak peek at this week's 'RWBY': Exclusive clip
- 'Return of the Living Dead' star Don Calfa dies at 76
- Highlights from J.K. Rowling's 'Fantastic Beasts' screenplay
- 'SNL': Emma Stone, John Cena, Casey Affleck are final hosts of 2016
- Shia LaBeouf calls out Drake, Lil Yachty in new freestyle rap
- T.J. Miller on 'Raiders' and a bag of Cheetos from Steven Spielberg
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big