Duncan Jones is the son of David Bowie, so there may be some daddy issues at work in the director’s Major Tom-themed debut Moon. Either way, he’s crafted a trippy sci-fi yarn thanks to a gonzo Sam Rockwell as the solo operator of a lunar base whose only companions are the disturbingly calm voice of a HAL-like computer (Kevin Spacey) and his own clone (Rockwell again). Prepare to have your mind blown. EXTRAS Two fun commentaries, a fascinatingly nerdy making-of doc, and a cool short film by Jones. B+
OUT OF THE WORLD Moon, starring Sam Rockwell, is a trippy take on a space movie. (Mark Tille)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey; Director: Duncan Jones, Nathan Parker; Release Date Limited: 06/12/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R
Posted December 30 2009 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'