Warren Beatty hasn’t starred in a movie in nine years, a good movie in 12 years, and a great movie in 29 years, but this exhaustively researched bio is as undeniably compelling as the man himself. A pout-faced lothario and master manipulator, Beatty charmed his way through a glitzy list of conquests (Leslie Caron, Julie Christie, Diane Keaton) and used that same focused charisma to crack the studios’ vise grip on production — maintaining absolute control over any film he took part in. He even seduced himself, his famed narcissism feeding everything he did. (He’s believed to be the subject of Carly Simon’s ”You’re So Vain.”) In Star: How Warren Beatty Seduced America, Peter Biskind recounts endless on-the-set tales, some from Beatty himself, with an impressive lack of judgment, airing out the contradictions between memory and apocrypha that inevitably arise. In the process, he cleverly expands his scope until it’s less the story of a single star than the workings of the Hollywood firmament, where writers, producers, and lesser stellar bodies orbit blazing figures like Beatty, dragged in by their gravitational pull but constantly at risk of getting burned. A
Star: How Warren Beatty Seduced America Warren Beatty hasn't starred in a movie in nine years, a good movie in 12 years, and a great movie in 29 years, but this exhaustively researched bio...Star: How Warren Beatty Seduced AmericaNonfiction, BiographyPeter Biskind Warren Beatty hasn't starred in a movie in nine years, a good movie in 12 years, and a great movie in 29 years, but this exhaustively researched bio...2010-01-04Simon & Schuster
Star: How Warren Beatty Seduced America by Peter Biskind
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Peter Biskind; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted January 4 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Morrissey says he was sexually assaulted at San Francisco airport
- Listen to Prince's new, 'Kiss'-referencing single 'Stare'
- See the heart-stopping first trailer Netflix's 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Read an exclusive excerpt from 'The Dead House' by Dawn Kurtagich
- Tawney breaks down in 'Rectify' exclusive clip
- 'Fantastic Four' cast to make their first late-night appearance on 'WWHL' — exclusive
- Ed Helms rescues Bear Grylls on 'Running Wild' (well, sort of)
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ed Helms, Jenny McCarthy, Joel Edgerton & More!