The reckless, splendid circus of New York’s royal bohemia in the 1960s and ’70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds Smith in her heady recounting of a halcyon era. But the heart of Just Kids, a captivating memoir, is the lifelong love affair (first romantic, later creative and platonic) between Smith and photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, before she became music’s punk poet laureate and he one of the art world’s most provocative and controversial figures. In her inimitable, lyrical style, Patti Smith recalls the pair’s coming together as young, monumentally broke dreamers: ”just kids.” What follows is both a poignant requiem (Mapplethorpe died of AIDS at age 43) and a radiant celebration of life. A
Just KidsThe reckless, splendid circus of New York's royal bohemia in the 1960s and '70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds...Just KidsNonfiction, BiographyPatti SmithThe reckless, splendid circus of New York's royal bohemia in the 1960s and '70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds...2010-01-06Ecco Press
Just Kids by Patti Smith
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Patti Smith; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted January 6 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...