The reckless, splendid circus of New York’s royal bohemia in the 1960s and ’70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds Smith in her heady recounting of a halcyon era. But the heart of Just Kids, a captivating memoir, is the lifelong love affair (first romantic, later creative and platonic) between Smith and photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, before she became music’s punk poet laureate and he one of the art world’s most provocative and controversial figures. In her inimitable, lyrical style, Patti Smith recalls the pair’s coming together as young, monumentally broke dreamers: ”just kids.” What follows is both a poignant requiem (Mapplethorpe died of AIDS at age 43) and a radiant celebration of life. A
Just KidsThe reckless, splendid circus of New York's royal bohemia in the 1960s and '70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds...Just KidsNonfiction, BiographyPatti SmithThe reckless, splendid circus of New York's royal bohemia in the 1960s and '70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds...2010-01-06Ecco Press
Just Kids by Patti Smith
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Patti Smith; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted January 6 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Box office report: 'Terminator Genisys,' 'Magic Mike XXL' fall flat
- Kelly Clarkson and more top moments from 'Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular'
- Kelly Rutherford reunites with her kids
- Ed Sheeran breaks out his British red coat for Taylor Swift’s Fourth of July party
- Billy Joel's surprise July 4 wedding
- Penn & Teller bring 'one or two of the craziest ideas we've ever had' to Broadway
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!