The reckless, splendid circus of New York’s royal bohemia in the 1960s and ’70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds Smith in her heady recounting of a halcyon era. But the heart of Just Kids, a captivating memoir, is the lifelong love affair (first romantic, later creative and platonic) between Smith and photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, before she became music’s punk poet laureate and he one of the art world’s most provocative and controversial figures. In her inimitable, lyrical style, Patti Smith recalls the pair’s coming together as young, monumentally broke dreamers: ”just kids.” What follows is both a poignant requiem (Mapplethorpe died of AIDS at age 43) and a radiant celebration of life. A
Just KidsThe reckless, splendid circus of New York's royal bohemia in the 1960s and '70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds...Just KidsNonfiction, BiographyPatti SmithThe reckless, splendid circus of New York's royal bohemia in the 1960s and '70s — rock idols, cowboy poets, Warhol Superstars — surrounds...2010-01-06Ecco Press
Just Kids by Patti Smith
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Patti Smith; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted January 6 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!