”Mary Anning leads with her eyes.” Turns out they’re eyes that can sweep the desolate rockstrewn beaches of Lyme Regis and see what no one else can: fossils. Poor and uneducated, Mary finds an ally in tart-tongued Elizabeth Philpott, a London spinster who shares her passion for fossil hunting. They band together, challenging the Victorian-era men who try to take credit for Mary’s discoveries. In many ways, Remarkable Creatures is as moving a story as Tracy Chevalier’s Girl With a Pearl Earring. But the author’s jarring scientific asides — especially her discussions of Mary?s finds and their importance in the fossil record — punctuate the narrative so frequently that the story never truly flows. B?
Remarkable Creatures ''Mary Anning leads with her eyes.'' Turns out they're eyes that can sweep the desolate rockstrewn beaches of Lyme Regis and see what no one else...Remarkable CreaturesFiction, HistoryTracy Chevalier ''Mary Anning leads with her eyes.'' Turns out they're eyes that can sweep the desolate rockstrewn beaches of Lyme Regis and see what no one else...2010-01-06Dutton Adult
Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
Genre: Fiction, History; Author: Tracy Chevalier; Publisher: Dutton Adult
Posted January 6 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Find out the No. 1 movie on the day you were born
- Cast confirmed for Woody Allen's next film
- Mary J. Blige helps out Taraji P. Henson in new 'Lip Sync Battle' clip
- See Iceman, Littlefinger in new trailer for Xbox One exclusive 'Quantum Break'
- 'Hannibal' star Hugh Dancy cast in new Hulu series
- Chris Hardwick auditions for 'Fantastic Five,' powers include being a good hugger
- Lifetime to air Jackson family reality series