”Mary Anning leads with her eyes.” Turns out they’re eyes that can sweep the desolate rockstrewn beaches of Lyme Regis and see what no one else can: fossils. Poor and uneducated, Mary finds an ally in tart-tongued Elizabeth Philpott, a London spinster who shares her passion for fossil hunting. They band together, challenging the Victorian-era men who try to take credit for Mary’s discoveries. In many ways, Remarkable Creatures is as moving a story as Tracy Chevalier’s Girl With a Pearl Earring. But the author’s jarring scientific asides — especially her discussions of Mary?s finds and their importance in the fossil record — punctuate the narrative so frequently that the story never truly flows. B?
Remarkable Creatures ''Mary Anning leads with her eyes.'' Turns out they're eyes that can sweep the desolate rockstrewn beaches of Lyme Regis and see what no one else...Remarkable CreaturesFiction, HistoryTracy Chevalier ''Mary Anning leads with her eyes.'' Turns out they're eyes that can sweep the desolate rockstrewn beaches of Lyme Regis and see what no one else...2010-01-06Dutton Adult
Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
Genre: Fiction, History; Author: Tracy Chevalier; Publisher: Dutton Adult
Posted January 6 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday