For some folks, sports is more than entertainment. It’s life and death. Take Patton Oswalt’s doughy loser in Big Fan, who only comes alive on NFL Sundays and in the brief moments he’s on air with a local sports talk-radio show as ”Paul from Staten Island.” Oswalt’s always been a great stand-up comic, but in this modest black comedy he proves that he can really act, too. He’s like Rupert Pupkin in a Giants jersey. EXTRAS include a few ho-hum outtakes and a hilarious Q&A with Oswalt and writer-director Robert Siegel. B+
BIG FAN Patton Oswalt and Kevin Corrigan were probably not happy this past football season
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kevin Corrigan, Patton Oswalt, Michael Rapaport; Director: Robert Siegel; Author: Robert Siegel; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted January 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!