For some folks, sports is more than entertainment. It’s life and death. Take Patton Oswalt’s doughy loser in Big Fan, who only comes alive on NFL Sundays and in the brief moments he’s on air with a local sports talk-radio show as ”Paul from Staten Island.” Oswalt’s always been a great stand-up comic, but in this modest black comedy he proves that he can really act, too. He’s like Rupert Pupkin in a Giants jersey. EXTRAS include a few ho-hum outtakes and a hilarious Q&A with Oswalt and writer-director Robert Siegel. B+
BIG FAN Patton Oswalt and Kevin Corrigan were probably not happy this past football season
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kevin Corrigan, Patton Oswalt, Michael Rapaport; Director: Robert Siegel; Author: Robert Siegel; Release Date Limited: 08/28/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted January 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Simon Cowell get emotional during an 'X Factor' audition
- Box office preview: Sleepy Labor Day to quietly close out the summer
- 'Mr. Robot' had a perfect season on Rotten Tomatoes
- First Look: See Rob Riggle as 'Gator Dan' on 'Fresh Off the Boat'
- Netflix renews 'Narcos' for season 2
- Eddie Redmayne: 'The Danish Girl' was 'an extraordinary experience'
- Meet the new Transporter: Ed Skrein has refueled the action franchise
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!