For some folks, sports is more than entertainment. It’s life and death. Take Patton Oswalt’s doughy loser in Big Fan, who only comes alive on NFL Sundays and in the brief moments he’s on air with a local sports talk-radio show as ”Paul from Staten Island.” Oswalt’s always been a great stand-up comic, but in this modest black comedy he proves that he can really act, too. He’s like Rupert Pupkin in a Giants jersey. EXTRAS include a few ho-hum outtakes and a hilarious Q&A with Oswalt and writer-director Robert Siegel. B+
BIG FAN Patton Oswalt and Kevin Corrigan were probably not happy this past football season
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kevin Corrigan, Patton Oswalt, Michael Rapaport; Director: Robert Siegel; Author: Robert Siegel; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted January 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt