For some folks, sports is more than entertainment. It’s life and death. Take Patton Oswalt’s doughy loser in Big Fan, who only comes alive on NFL Sundays and in the brief moments he’s on air with a local sports talk-radio show as ”Paul from Staten Island.” Oswalt’s always been a great stand-up comic, but in this modest black comedy he proves that he can really act, too. He’s like Rupert Pupkin in a Giants jersey. EXTRAS include a few ho-hum outtakes and a hilarious Q&A with Oswalt and writer-director Robert Siegel. B+
BIG FAN Patton Oswalt and Kevin Corrigan were probably not happy this past football season
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kevin Corrigan, Patton Oswalt, Michael Rapaport; Director: Robert Siegel; Author: Robert Siegel; Release Date Limited: 08/28/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted January 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Five Questions From Transparent's Season 2 Premiere
- Gotham Awards 2015: 'Spotlight,' 'Tangerine' top the winners list
- Reese Witherspoon developing movie about Barbie creator, with an eye to star
- Casting Net: Alicia Vikander joins James McAvoy in romantic thriller
- The Avengers get rom-com treatment in remix video
- Superman unmasks Batman in new sneak peek from 'Dawn of Justice'
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'