Matthew Broderick tends to be a very passive actor, which is why his best roles — like Ferris Bueller or the furious teacher in Election — wrench him out of that slightly dazed blobbiness. But he’s mired in passivity in Wonderful World, a scrappy indie modeled on the racial sentimentality of The Visitor. Broderick plays a mopey former kids’ singer who’s divorced, stuck in a dead-end job, and alienated from everyone but his saintly chess-playing roommate from Senegal (Michael K. Williams). When the roommate falls into a diabetic coma, Broderick finds romance with his sick friend’s sister (the terrific Sanaa Lathan). It’s all very sincere, but watching a dweebish depressive learn that Life Is Good is a lesson of diminishing returns. C
GUITAR ZERO Matthew Broderick is a sad-sack ex-singer in Wonderful World
Genre: Drama; Starring: Matthew Broderick, Sanaa Lathan, Philip Baker Hall, Michael K. Williams; Director: Joshua Goldin; Author: Joshua Goldin; Release Date Limited: 01/08/2010; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted January 15 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation': What are the critics saying?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!