Matthew Broderick tends to be a very passive actor, which is why his best roles — like Ferris Bueller or the furious teacher in Election — wrench him out of that slightly dazed blobbiness. But he’s mired in passivity in Wonderful World, a scrappy indie modeled on the racial sentimentality of The Visitor. Broderick plays a mopey former kids’ singer who’s divorced, stuck in a dead-end job, and alienated from everyone but his saintly chess-playing roommate from Senegal (Michael K. Williams). When the roommate falls into a diabetic coma, Broderick finds romance with his sick friend’s sister (the terrific Sanaa Lathan). It’s all very sincere, but watching a dweebish depressive learn that Life Is Good is a lesson of diminishing returns. C
GUITAR ZERO Matthew Broderick is a sad-sack ex-singer in Wonderful World
Genre: Drama; Starring: Matthew Broderick, Sanaa Lathan, Philip Baker Hall, Michael K. Williams; Director: Joshua Goldin; Author: Joshua Goldin; Release Date Limited: 01/08/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted January 15 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!