Extraordinary Measures is hardly an extraordinary movie. In fact, it’s hard to believe that this schmaltzy film found its home on the big screen rather than the Hallmark Channel. But I dare you not to feel something at its conclusion. Just consider the material: Fed up with doctors prescribing a death sentence for his two children — who suffer from the rare and fatal Pompe disease — a proactive businessman (Brendan Fraser) teams up with a temperamental scientist (Harrison Ford) to develop a life-saving drug. The duo hit plenty of roadblocks along the way (lack of funding, power struggles, etc.), and spend much of the film in conference rooms discussing enzymes — unfortunately, not the most moviegoer-friendly fare. The leading men deserve far better than the ho-hum material they?re given (try not to cringe as Ford delivers the oddly placed line, ”I’m gonna go take a crap”). But Fraser works so hard playing a devoted dad, it’s damn hard not to root for him. B
DOCTOR, PLEASE Harrison Ford plays a daring scientist in Extraordinary Measures (Merie Weismiller Wallace)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Harrison Ford, Brendan Fraser, Keri Russell, Dee Wallace; Director: Tom Vaughan; Author: Robert Nelson Jacobs; Release Date Wide: 01/22/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted January 21 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'RHOBH': See how Erika Girardi got that 'Y&R' role
- 'Westworld' finale: Anthony Hopkins on Dr. Ford's fate
- 'Legion': Premiere date, new trailer revealed
- When are the Grammy nominations?
- Bell Biv DeVoe cover New Edition's 'Happy Holidays'
- Jennifer Aniston used to belly dance at Christmas
- Bernardo Bertolucci responds to 'Last Tango in Paris' controversy
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday