Extraordinary Measures is hardly an extraordinary movie. In fact, it’s hard to believe that this schmaltzy film found its home on the big screen rather than the Hallmark Channel. But I dare you not to feel something at its conclusion. Just consider the material: Fed up with doctors prescribing a death sentence for his two children — who suffer from the rare and fatal Pompe disease — a proactive businessman (Brendan Fraser) teams up with a temperamental scientist (Harrison Ford) to develop a life-saving drug. The duo hit plenty of roadblocks along the way (lack of funding, power struggles, etc.), and spend much of the film in conference rooms discussing enzymes — unfortunately, not the most moviegoer-friendly fare. The leading men deserve far better than the ho-hum material they?re given (try not to cringe as Ford delivers the oddly placed line, ”I’m gonna go take a crap”). But Fraser works so hard playing a devoted dad, it’s damn hard not to root for him. B
DOCTOR, PLEASE Harrison Ford plays a daring scientist in Extraordinary Measures (Merie Weismiller Wallace)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Harrison Ford, Brendan Fraser, Keri Russell, Dee Wallace; Director: Tom Vaughan; Author: Robert Nelson Jacobs; Release Date Wide: 01/22/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted January 21 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Paula Deen fires social media manager responsible for offensive tweet
- 'The Lego Movie' directors will pilot a Han Solo stand-alone movie
- Amy Schumer, Aziz Ansari to headline Oddball Comedy Fest
- Sonia Manzano remembers 44 years as Maria on Sesame Street
- Albert Hammond, Jr. says the Strokes don't have new music in the works
- Kaitlyn's Bachelorette blog: Ben would be a 'great husband'
- What's up next for OITNB's Ruby Rose?
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!