Extraordinary Measures is hardly an extraordinary movie. In fact, it’s hard to believe that this schmaltzy film found its home on the big screen rather than the Hallmark Channel. But I dare you not to feel something at its conclusion. Just consider the material: Fed up with doctors prescribing a death sentence for his two children — who suffer from the rare and fatal Pompe disease — a proactive businessman (Brendan Fraser) teams up with a temperamental scientist (Harrison Ford) to develop a life-saving drug. The duo hit plenty of roadblocks along the way (lack of funding, power struggles, etc.), and spend much of the film in conference rooms discussing enzymes — unfortunately, not the most moviegoer-friendly fare. The leading men deserve far better than the ho-hum material they?re given (try not to cringe as Ford delivers the oddly placed line, ”I’m gonna go take a crap”). But Fraser works so hard playing a devoted dad, it’s damn hard not to root for him. B
DOCTOR, PLEASE Harrison Ford plays a daring scientist in Extraordinary Measures (Merie Weismiller Wallace)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Harrison Ford, Brendan Fraser, Keri Russell, Dee Wallace; Director: Tom Vaughan; Author: Robert Nelson Jacobs; Release Date Wide: 01/22/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted January 21 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!