Extraordinary Measures is hardly an extraordinary movie. In fact, it’s hard to believe that this schmaltzy film found its home on the big screen rather than the Hallmark Channel. But I dare you not to feel something at its conclusion. Just consider the material: Fed up with doctors prescribing a death sentence for his two children — who suffer from the rare and fatal Pompe disease — a proactive businessman (Brendan Fraser) teams up with a temperamental scientist (Harrison Ford) to develop a life-saving drug. The duo hit plenty of roadblocks along the way (lack of funding, power struggles, etc.), and spend much of the film in conference rooms discussing enzymes — unfortunately, not the most moviegoer-friendly fare. The leading men deserve far better than the ho-hum material they?re given (try not to cringe as Ford delivers the oddly placed line, ”I’m gonna go take a crap”). But Fraser works so hard playing a devoted dad, it’s damn hard not to root for him. B
DOCTOR, PLEASE Harrison Ford plays a daring scientist in Extraordinary Measures (Merie Weismiller Wallace)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Harrison Ford, Brendan Fraser, Keri Russell, Dee Wallace; Director: Tom Vaughan; Author: Robert Nelson Jacobs; Release Date Wide: 01/22/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted January 21 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!