James Mitchell, a former star of the ABC soap opera All My Children, died Friday in L.A. of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, complicated by pneumonia. He was 90. The actor – who had last appeared on the 40th anniversary of the show earlier this month – also boasted a notable career on the Broadway stage, where he starred in musicals such as Brigadoon, Carousel, and Paint Your Wagon. Mitchell also was a dancer, and appeared in films like The Turning Point, Oklahoma!, and The Band Wagon. Mitchell joined the cast of the soap opera in 1979 and played wealthy patriarch Palmer Cortlandt.
Posted January 23 2010 — 10:15 AM EST
- Lauren Graham says she may not watch the 'Gilmore Girls' revival
- Terry Crews, Dave Coulier, Shaq design ugly Christmas sweaters
- See Jennifer Lawrence's seventh grade yearbook superlative
- Get a sneak peek at this week's 'RWBY': Exclusive clip
- 'Return of the Living Dead' star Don Calfa dies at 76
- Highlights from J.K. Rowling's 'Fantastic Beasts' screenplay
- 'SNL': Emma Stone, John Cena, Casey Affleck are final hosts of 2016
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big